Sunday, October 24, 2010

Palpitations And Back Pain

PLATO - THE REPUBLIC - BOOK EIGHTH




... "Now," he resumed, "we still have to describe the best form of government and the best individual: iltiranno and tyranny." "Certainly," he said. "Well, dear friend, what is the nature of tyranny? is almost obvious that this is a transition dallademocrazia. "" Yes, it is clear. "" So the tyranny arises from democracy in the same manner in which it was created by the oligarchy? "How?" good works that people are proposing, " I explained, "and for which they had established the oligarchy was the excessive wealth: Do not Ever?" Yes. "But the insatiable lust for wealth and the neglect of any value because they took dell'affarismo allarovina.

105

"true," he said. "And the disintegration of democracy is not caused insatiable lust for what is intended as well? "And what, in your opinion, is to?" Freedom, "I answered. "In a democratic city heard that this is the benesupremo and therefore who is free by nature should only live there." "In fact, often repeated this sentence," he said. "As I was going to ask you," I said, "are not so the insatiable greed and indifference of every other value atrasformare this form of government and prepare to be in need of tyranny? "In what sense?" he asked. "In my opinion, when a democratic city, thirsty for freedom, is to be ruled by evil butler, he had drunk more than pure Diliberto and pursued its leaders, unless they are completely docile and not grant moltalibertà, accusing them of being wicked and oligarchic. "" Yes, "he said," do this. "" It covers insults, "I continued," those that show obedience to authority, treating them as men of nessunvalore, happy to be slaves, and commends and honors in both the private and public leaders who are similar to the subjects and isudditi that are similar to the rulers. In such a city is not inevitable that freedom reaches its climax? "Why not?" Also, my dear, "she added," anarchy penetrates even in private homes and eventually rises even among animals'. "In what sense can we say such a thing?" he asked. "In the sense," I replied, "that such a father like his son to become accustomed and to fear their children, like his father and even figliodiventa to be free has neither respect nor fear of parents, a metics (23) are equal to uncittadino a citizen and a metics, and the same applies to a foreigner. "" In fact this happens, "he said." It happens more glitches of the same type: in such a situation a teacher is afraid of the students and lilusinga, the students for their part do little account of the masters of both teachers, in short, young people are put allapari of older people and challenge them in words and deed, while the old, lowering the level of young people, and fill difacezie fuss, imitating the young people do not seem unpleasant and despotic. "" Precisely, "he said." In a city like this, "I continued," dear friend, the extreme limits of freedom that can reach the common people vienetoccato when men and women are bought not less free of their buyers. And we forgot just how big didire legal equality and freedom of men against women and women in confrontidegli men. "" Well, "he said," Aeschylus "will say that now that we came to the lip "?" (24) 'is precisely what I'm saying, "I answered:" None, unless you see for yourself, what could convince himself of the condition of animalidomestici is freer here than altrove.Le bitches, as the saying goes, they become just like their masters, horses and donkeys, used to procederecon great freedom and pride collide in the street anyone encounter, if not Dodge, as is any other thing siriempie of freedom. "" You're telling my dream, "(25) said," for me too when I go to the country, often the proprioquesto. "" Do not you see I asked, "that the sum of all these elements together softens the hearts of citizens Atal point that if you promises them a minimum of subjection, are indignant and can not stand? You know that end up not caring Pernon laws, written and unwritten, that among them there is absolutely no master. "" And as if I know! "He said." Well, my friend, "I said," I think this the beginning of beautiful and powerful that led to the tyranny. "" Really strong, "he exclaimed. "What happens next?" The same misfortune, "I continued," that is manifestanell'oligarchia bringing it to ruin, also born in democracy, stronger and more violent because of the license, and laasservisce. In fact, the excess usually produces a great change in the opposite direction, seasons, plants, neglianimali and not least in the forms of government. "" It is natural, "he said." Indeed, the excessive freedom does not seem to turn into nothing more than slavery in the excessive, both for the individual and lacittà. "Yes, it is natural." "And so it is natural," he continued, "that is formed only by the tyranny of democracy, namely that the extreme freedom sisviluppi slavery more severe and more fierce."

0 comments:

Post a Comment